Bison and Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Total preparation time (including baking): 50 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 1/2-2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. parsnips, diced
- 2 T. whole wheat or brown rice flour
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 1 lb. ground bison
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 5 oz. spinach (bulk or bagged)
If you don't have an enamel casserole dish or Dutch oven, use a large skillet to cook the meat, then transfer it to a baking dish.
- Bring the sweet potatoes, water, and 1/2 tsp. salt to boil in a medium-large saucepan. Cook for around 10 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add 2 T. of the butter to the sweet potatoes and mash using an electric mixer, immersion blender, or by hand.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, warm 2 T. of the butter in an oven-safe casserole dish (such as enamel ware or a Dutch oven). Add the onion and parsnips. Cook covered, for 7-8 minutes, over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the flour to the vegetables and cook 1-2 more minutes, stirring.
- Add the garlic, bison, 1/3 c. water, pepper, thyme, sage, and 1 tsp. salt. Cook for 6-7 minutes, until the bison is browned.
- Add the spinach and cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn the heat off, and press the mixture down with the back of your spoon so that it's level.
- Spread the mashed sweet potatoes evenly on top of the meat mixture.
Menu Suggestion - Serve with an appetizer of cheese and crackers.
Nutrition tip: Bison is a rich source of B vitamins, including B12, B6, B3, and B2 - all of which are needed to support a healthy cardiovascular system.