Shells with Pesto, Beans, and Broccoli Rabe
- 8 ounces uncooked dry pasta shells or wheat-free alternative
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen peas
- 1 (15-ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or other white beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup pesto or to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 8 minutes or until done; drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, pour about 1 cup water into a medium saucepan; steam broccoli rabe and peas 5 minutes. Drain broccoli rabe and peas. Return pasta and vegetables to large pot.
- Meanwhile, in same medium saucepan, bring broth and crushed red pepper to a simmer. Add beans; simmer until beans are heated through, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add bean mixture, pesto and wine vinegar to pasta and vegetables. Stir well, adding reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve in shallow bowls. Garnish with Parmesan if using. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving (without cheese): 484 calories; 26 g protein; 76 g carbohydrates; 12 g fat; 3 g saturated fat; 6 mg cholesterol; 18 g fiber; 691 mg sodium
This veggie-protein-and-pasta dish needs only a tossed green salad and chocolate chip cookies to make it a meal.