From the Summer 2016 Share – Produce A Plenty
Cold Noodle Salad with Pickled Vegetables
- 6 oz. wide bean thread or rice noodles
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. finely grated peeled ginger
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large daikon (Japanese white radish; about 1 pound), julienned
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled, julienned
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup torn fresh herbs such as basil, mint and cilantro, divided
- ¼ cup unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- Place noodles in a large bowl and add boiling water to cover. Let noodles soak until tender but not mushy, 15–20 minutes; drain. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
- Whisk garlic, soy sauce, lime juice, vinegar, sugar, ginger and pepper in another large bowl. Add daikon, cucumber, carrots and sprouts; toss to combine. Let sit at least 10 minutes.
- Add noodles, oil and half of herbs to bowl; toss to combine.
- Top salad with remaining herbs and peanuts.