From the Summer 2016 Share – Produce A Plenty
- 4 baby eggplants, or 1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1-inch-thick slices and scored
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. sambal olek (or other garlic chile paste)
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- Heat grill to medium. In small bowl, whisk together hoisin sauce, honey, sambal olek and 1 Tbsp. oil; set aside.
- Halve eggplants lengthwise; slice a bit off the skin side so they lie flat, and score both sides in a crisscross pattern.
- Brush both sides of eggplant halves with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, and season with salt. Grill until charred and tender, 4–7 minutes per side. Brush both sides generously with reserved hoisin mixture; grill each side again just to glaze, about 1 minute per side. Serve hot.