Roasted Root Vegetable Bisque is the perfect cozy starter. Serve in a punch cup or shot glass garnished with a sprig of thyme for a satisfying appetizer. Or create a warming first course with a bowl of the bisque and a WedgeMade dinner roll on the side.
VEGETABLES FOR ROASTING
- 2 whole garlic bulbs, tops cut off
- 2 cups parsnips, peeled and chopped – about 2 medium
- 3/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped – about 2 large
- 1 cup celeriac, peeled and chopped – about 1 medium
- 1 cup rutabaga, peeled and chopped – about 1 medium
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter or olive oil
- 1 small leek, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock, unsalted or low sodium
- 1 TBSP fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or nondairy creamer
- 1/4 tsp. ground black or white pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss root vegetables in 3 TBSP of olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until browned and tender, approximately 15 – 20 minutes. Wrap garlic bulbs in foil with 2 TBSP of olive oil and roast along with vegetables until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, sauté leeks and onions in butter until translucent. Add tomatoes, stock, thyme, bay leaf and roasted vegetables. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until vegetable are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove thyme springs and bay leaf.
- Remove garlic cloves from the bulb and add to soup then puree in a blender until smooth. Stir in cream, salt and pepper.