From the Spring Share 2017 – Somali Dishes Inspired by Our Community
Recipes provided by Sanaag Restaurant located at 3007 Cedar Ave. and the Somali Museum of Minnesota. The Somali Museum of Minnesota is the recipient of one of our WedgeShare grants this year and is the only institution in North America devoted to preserving and celebrating Somali traditional culture and art. The Somali Museum builds understanding between Somalis and non-Somalis through art.
- 2 cups white rice
- 1/2 lb. yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. chicken base
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Equipment: Oven-safe pot with cover.
- Sauté onions in olive oil until browned. Add spices and cook for a minute.
- Add rice, water and cilantro.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until water has evaporated to the same level of the rice.
- Cover and place in the oven for 20 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Allow rice to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes. Top with fresh cilantro and serve.